20 Ways to Prepare Poultry: Chicken BLT
Chicken and turkey are popular for being high in protein and low in saturated fats making a mealtime staple for athletes as well as in many healthy eating households. Falling back on the same old recipes starts to become mundane and a little too routine. Finding new ways to cook up the standard bird and keep it interesting (and keep your taste buds dancing) is time-consuming but in this series of recipes, I will highlight many different ways to prepare your poultry so your meal rotation is anything but boring. So whaddya say? Let’s play chicken!
Using thin pieces of ground cooked chicken in place of wraps or bread has revolutionized my thoughts on sandwiches and anything traditionally bready. When you press ground chicken or turkey thin and bread it like a schnitzel, the result is a thin piece of delicious protein that’s pliable yet sturdy enough to use as a wrap or taco shell to contain sandwich fillings. This method can be used in any sandwich application as a replacement for the bread increasing the protein punch and lowering the carb content.
A traditional BLT is revamped with a new “bread” for this recipe using a ground chicken based wrap. This tasty and packable power lunch is great for days when you’re at the office or on the go. Try using a ground chicken wrap in any of your other favorite sandwiches!
Chicken BLT with Sweet Smoky Aioli
Calories 318, Protein 35, Carbs 14g, Fat 14g
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 5 min for each wrap
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon salt (I used smoked sea salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup gluten free all-purpose flour or gluten free panko plus additional for breading
- 12 slices bacon, cooked (3 per wrap)
- 1-2 tomatoes, sliced thin
- 12 lettuce leaves, 3 per wrap, torn into large pieces
- 1-2 Tbsp per wrap, Sweet and Smoky Aioli or Mayo
Sweet Smoky Aioli Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon all natural barbeque sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Combine the ground chicken or turkey with the salt, pepper and 1/4 cup flour or panko.
- Blend together with your hands or a fork.
- Divide mixture into 4 equal portions.
- Flour a clean dry work surface with flour or panko and press each piece of ground poultry out into a thin disk flipping it over and adding more flour/panko as needed so it doesn’t stick.
- Heat a sauté pan with a small amount of olive or coconut oil.
- Place the flattened out disk into the hot pan and cook about 2-3 minutes per side being careful not to burn the breading.
- Remove from the pan and let cool enough to touch.
- Mix together all aioli ingredients until well combined.
- When the wrap has cooled, spread with mayo or aioli, fill it with bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes.
- Serve with additional sweet and smoky aioli as a dipping sauce and enjoy!
Note: This recipe can easily be quartered or halved to serve less. Or make all of the wraps at once and refrigerate or freeze for future use. Wraps can be eaten right out of the fridge or warmed. Leftover aioli can be placed in an airtight container and refrigerated.