20 Ways to Prepare Poultry: Curry Turkey Sliders
Chicken and turkey are popular for being high in protein and low in saturated fats making a mealtime staple for athletes as well as in many healthy eating households. Falling back on the same old recipes starts to become mundane and a little too routine. Finding new ways to cook up the standard bird and keep it interesting (and keep your taste buds dancing) is time-consuming but in this series of recipes, I will highlight many different ways to prepare your poultry so your meal rotation is anything but boring. So whaddya say? Let’s play chicken!
The best burgers, to me, are ones that have a little crunch, a little heat, and just enough creamy sauce to make the other flavors really stand out. Curry turkey sliders get a bit of crunch from diced bell pepper that is mixed into the burger providing contrast in texture between the sauce and the sweet potato “bun.” In this case, the bun is incredibly simple. There’s no special tools or baking required. Just slice a humble sweet potato into small slices and sear it until it softens. The sweetness of this root vegetable is a comforting compliment to the Indian spices in the turkey burger. The potato slices are easily transformed into a slider bun and remain sturdy enough to still be finger food.
A cool creamy sauce made from Greek yogurt mixes with coordinating spices of cumin and cardamom to round out the Indian inspired flavor when slathered on the turkey burgers. Complete the dish with tomato slices and some additional cilantro. These saucy little sliders are small enough to grasp in your hands and pack a hearty bite.
Curry Turkey Sliders
Calories 298 Protein 39g, Carbs 27g, Fat 4g
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 15 min
Serves: 3 (two sliders each)
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons gluten free flour or gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 bell pepper, any color, finely diced
For the “bun”:
- 1-2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and then cut the center of the potato into 1/4 inch slices. You’ll need 12 total slices (2 for each of 6 sliders).
Cardamom Cumin Yogurt Sauce:
- 1/4 cup plain unsweetened Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk (or more until it’s the consistency of mayo)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of salt, to taste
- Sliced tomato
- Chopped cilantro
- Combine all slider ingredients in bowl until well combined.
- Form into about 6 equal size patties.
- Heat a skillet on medium high with a small amount of oil until hot.
- Cook turkey sliders about 5 minutes per side until cooked through.
- Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, lower the heat to medium and add additional oil if needed to cook the sweet potato buns.
- Cook sweet potatoes about 3-4 minutes per side until just tender. Remove and place on paper towels to drain any remaining oil.
- Assemble sliders with a sweet potato slice on bottom, turkey slider, yogurt sauce, tomato and cilantro, then another sweet potato slice on top.
- Can also serve additional yogurt sauce as a dipping sauce for the sliders.