A Free Keto Diet Recipe Book: Lox Stuffed Avocados and More
The ketogenic diet is on a roll and there’s really no question why it’s gained so much momentum. Dubbed the keto diet for short, this low carb, high fat diet supplies the body with a plethora of healthy fats which are used as energy for our body instead of carbohydrates. This way of eating provides a nutritionally dense vegetable and protein base with high fat energy for us to perform our best while maintaining a slim physique. A keto meal in its most simple form combines a protein, paired with a green vegetable (or other low carb veg), and fats. This series will provide a more inspired approach to these combinations that you can mix and match for a unique ketogenic eating experience. Download the full keto recipe book here or enjoy each creation one at a time every week.
Lox with cream cheese spread on a bagel is a common breakfast combination. Forgo the bagel, and this combo is a perfect keto dish. Lox is a cured salmon but is not smoked. Both lox and smoked salmon work equally well in this dish. Look for lox or salmon that is wild caught before being cured and that is cured or brined with natural ingredients. Salmon is loaded with healthy fats and omega-3 fatty acids to boost brain health and to help handle mental stress.
Avocados are also rich in healthy fats and make an ideal serving dish. Use the scooped out portion of the avocado smashed with a protein punch of chopped hard-boiled egg and cream cheese and then serve this sophisticated version of an egg salad in an avocado “bowl” topped with the traditional capers to garnish.
Calories 557, Protein 19g, Total Carbs 17g, Net Carbs 8g, Fat 48g
Prep time: 10 min
Serves: 1 as a main meal (or two as a small meal of 1/2 avocado each)
- 1 avocado, pitted
- 1 hard-boiled egg, diced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup lox or smoked salmon, diced
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- Pinch dried dill weed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Capers, as garnish
- Scoop out around where the avocado pit was making a uniform bowl out of the avocado. Place the scooped out avocado flesh in a small mixing bowl.
- Remove the peel from the avocado by scooping the avocado “bowl” out with a large spoon being careful to stay along the inside edge of the peel so you don’t cut into your “bowl”. Set aside.
- In the small mixing bowl, mash the scooped out avocado center with all of the other ingredients except the capers.
- Fill the avocado “bowls” with the mashed avocado/egg mixture.
- Top with a few capers and serve.
Download the full keto recipe book.