Instant Pot Pork Chops with Sweet Corn Risotto
The best thing about cooking a meal in a pressure cooker, such as an Instant Pot, is the ability cook a side dish and your main protein portion of the meal in one pot at the same time. Not only is this a time saver, but it’s also easy and quick for those nights you don’t want to stand hovering over the stove.
Risotto is traditionally regarded as a more challenging side dish to prepare as it does require time and a watchful chef to ensure that is done to the proper porridge-like consistency. Cooking risotto in the Instant Pot, however, eliminates the need to watch over it and turns this elegant side into easy weeknight cuisine.
This dish features pork chops as the lean protein but you can easily substitute chicken if preferred. The protein prep is simple. Season, sear and cook over the risotto. The key to getting the most flavor into your risotto and not get a pesky burn warning from your pot is to be sure to deglaze the pot before adding the risotto ingredients. To do this is simple. Add a small amount of broth or wine to the bottom of the pot after removing the seared chops and gently scrape the browned bits off the bottom until they are well blended into the broth. Leaving this flavorful liquid in the pan for the risotto to absorb provides much more depth to your dish.
Instant Pot Pork Chops and Sweet Corn Risotto
Calories 380, Protein 31g, Total Carbs 32g, Fat 14g
Prep time: 20 min, Closed Pot Time: 30 min
- 4 boneless pork chops, about 1/2” thick
- Sprinkle Cajun seasoning and salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or dry white wine to deglaze the pot
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 red Fresno or jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sweet corn kernels
- 1/2 cup riced cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Sprinkle lime juice
- Season pork chops with a sprinkle of Cajun seasoning and salt on both sides and set aside.
- Select SAUTE on the Instant Pot and adjust to normal.
- Add olive oil to pot.
- When oil is hot, sear pork chops. About 1-2 minutes each side.
- Remove pork chops from the pot and set aside.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken broth or white wine and deglaze the pot. Be sure you scrape all of the browned bits up off the bottom. This will prevent burning and provide flavor to the risotto.
- Press CANCEL.
- Add the rice, garlic, shallot, hot pepper, salt, pepper, chicken broth, sweet corn, and cauliflower to the pot and stir to combine.
- Nestle the pork chops on top of the rice mixture.
- Secure lid on the pot and close pressure-release valve.
- Select MANUAL and cook on high pressure 6 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, let it depressurize naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release.
- Remove pork chops from the pot and keep warm.
- Stir risotto. If there is still a bit of liquid, leave it sit another 5 minutes to thicken or you can stir in some pepper jack cheese if you desire.
- Serve risotto with a sprinkle of lime juice and chopped cilantro.