The Keto Diet: Italian Cabbage and Sausage Soup
The ketogenic diet is on a roll and there’s really no question why it’s gained so much momentum. Dubbed the keto diet for short, this low carb, high fat diet supplies the body with a plethora of healthy fats which are used as energy for our body instead of carbohydrates. This way of eating provides a nutritionally dense vegetable and protein base with high fat energy for us to perform our best while maintaining a slim physique. A keto meal in its most simple form combines a protein, paired with a green vegetable (or other low carb veg), and fats. This series will provide a more inspired approach to these combinations that you can mix and match for a unique ketogenic eating experience.
Much of the pre-made Italian sausage that’s available in the market contains preservatives or added sugars. You can easily avoid the added sugars and preservatives by making your own sausage. In this soup, we’re not really going to make “sausage” but rather, we’ll combine the traditional sausage seasonings with ground pork to get the same flavor intensity.
Combining the ground pork with cabbage creates a fiber filled soup that’s a wonderful balance of protein and fat with very few net carbs. The cabbage also serves to give this soup substance and texture. Use a low sodium chicken bone broth as the liquid base. Bone broth certainly delivers in the flavor department and is superior to basic stock as bone broth contains extra nutrients and collagen from the bones that it’s made from.
Collagen is incredibly important for joint health. It helps reduce pain and prevents degeneration which can be a problem for many athletes, particularly as we age. Another benefit of collagen is that it can boost metabolism. It also improves the elasticity, smoothness and silkiness of your skin and hair so you’ll look great while you’re working out, too.
Italian Cabbage and Sausage Soup
Calories 459, Protein 32g, Total Carbs 8g, Net Carbs 6g, Fat 33g
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 pound ground pork, pasture raised preferred
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded or finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups organic low sodium chicken bone broth or stock
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded, as a garnish
- In a large saucepot, combine the pork, onion and garlic with olive oil and cook until pork is partially pink.
- Add all of the spices and stir to combine.
- Add the cabbage and cook until the pork is cooked through and cabbage is crisp-tender.
- Add the tomatoes and broth and simmer 30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf before serving.
- Garnish with parmesan.
Download the full keto recipe book.